Draft Profile: BioKool-Aid McKinstry from Pinson Valley High School was rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 5-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, McKinstry opted to join Alabama after being heavily recruited.
In 2021 as a freshman McKinstry saw action in 11 games and played a total of 479 snaps at cornerback for the Crimson Tide. He recorded 10 tackles, 13 assists, while adding 3 stops. In coverage McKinstry notched up one pass breakup, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 79.7.
As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 12 games and logged 794 snaps for the Crimson Tide. He made 29 tackles, 6 assists, and had 7 stops. In coverage he totaled 13 pass breakups, one interception, and QB rating when targetted of 59.0.
Scouting Report: Strengths
- Lean, athletic build with plenty of room for additional muscle mass. Legitimate NFL-caliber athlete.
- Aware zone cornerback who is also adept in man coverage, flashing physical hand punch at the line and straight-line speed to stay with receivers downfield.
- Has a nice blend of length, speed, and quickness. He’s at his best mirroring routes underneath, showing fluid movement skills and the ability to change directions on a dime.
- Aware in the red zone, stays on the back line to take away fade throws. Capable of making quarterbacks pay for late throws.
- Instinctive, adept at reading routes and anticipating throws, and strong in zone coverage.
- Does a good job getting his head around in time when playing with his back to the line of scrimmage. Has the ability to cover quickness underneath.
Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- Too often gets unnecessarily handsy when playing trail position
- Gave up too many big plays in college, especially concerning since McKinstry has recovery speed to make up for missteps.
- McKinstry gets beat over the top too often, and he tends to panic and get too handsy when running downfield.
How other scouting services rate Kool-Aid McKinstry (Overall Rank)
All Scouts AverageOverall Rank
All Scouts AveragePosition Rank